About the Lake County Clerk of the Circuit Court
The Lake County Clerk of the Circuit Court is an elected office established by the Florida Constitution.
The duties of the office are provided by the Constitution, by act of the Florida Legislature, and by order of the Court.
The Florida Constitution provides that the Clerk of the Circuit Court shall be:
- Clerk of the Circuit Court
- Clerk of the County Court
- County Comptroller/Treasurer
- County Auditor
- County Recorder
- Secretary/Ex-officio Clerk to the Board of County Commissioners
In Lake County, the Clerk is also the Secretary/Treasurer for the Lake County Water Authority; Treasurer for the
Lake County Historical Society; and Treasurer for Lake Emergency Medical Services, Inc.
The Clerk also serves as the passport and documentary stamp agent. View video below to better understand the role of The Clerk.
Watch Role of the Clerk video
Overview of the Clerk of the Circuit Court
Below is a summary of the functions and services provided by the Clerk's Office.
- Records Management division performs annual audit verification, retention scheduling, imaging, microfilming, destroying of inactive court records and Official Records, and provides centralized inter-office and postal services for county agencies.
- Administrative Support division provides Human Resources, Purchasing and other support services to the Clerk's Office.
- Recording and Indexing division processes all documents which may be recorded into the Official Records of Lake County and researches these records for those needing this information.
- Support Services division is responsible for the processing of marriage licenses and passport applications, community and branch services, volunteer services and physical facilities.
- Board Accounting division provides financial and accounting services to the Board of County Commissioners, County Manager and Department Directors.
- Board Support division provides/produces accurate, concise minutes of the Board of County Commissioners' meetings and related committees.
- Clerk Finance division provides all accounting functions, i.e., payables, receivables, payroll, investments and maintenance, for the Clerk.
This department provides a variety of court services in support of the judiciary, the public, and attorneys. Its divisions include Circuit Criminal, County Criminal, Civil Law, Family Law, Jury Management/Evidence
, Court Projects, Traffic-Civil,
- Executive division provides the services required by the Florida Constitution and includes the general management of the Clerk's departments.
Division of Inspector General
- The Division of Inspector General performs standard performance, operational, financial, and information systems audits. In addition, the Division facilitates Control Self Assessment team activities. These teams bring together people from different Clerk or County activities to solve or improve cross-departmental processes.
- The Information Resources (IR) department is the centralized Information Technology (IT) support group for the Lake County Clerk of Courts, providing emergency disaster data preparedness, and information management. Consisting of two divisions (Application Development and Support, and Network Support and Security), the IR Department uses the Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) framework for Service Support and Service Delivery.
- Application Development and Support provides project management for all major IT projects; web development; and deployment of enterprise applications, PCs and other related hardware for the Clerk’s Office. The Division also provides application support for the judiciary. In addition, it provides financial application support for Clerk and County Finance, the Board of County Commissioners, and the Sheriff’s Office.
- Network Support and Security manages deployment and support of all network resources for the Clerk of Courts including database administration, server administration, enterprise application administration, network security, information recovery, network infrastructure, and capacity management.